Because He is God, God can hate without any sinful intent. Therefore, He can hate the sin and the sinner in a perfectly holy way and still be able to perfectly forgive the unregenerate sinner at the instant of repentance and faith in Christ Jesus. Because we cannot love perfectly (without prejudice or lust) nor can we hate perfectly (without prejudice or malice) as God can, we must remind ourselves to “love the sinner and hate the sin”
Therefore we separate these two so that we hate sin by refusing to take part in it and by condemning it when we see it. (Just so you don't miss the point I will repeat this with quotations) "Condemning it when we see it" which may appear as judging the individual while in fact it is hating sin.
Revelation 2:6 “But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.”(KJV)
Revelation 2:6 “ But you have this in your favor: You hate the practices of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.”(NIV 2011)
- Now we love the sinners by being faithful in witnessing to them of the forgiveness that is available through Jesus Christ.
- We love the sinner by treating them with respect and kindness even though he/she knows (because we have made it clear) you do not approve (hate) of his lifestyle and/or choices.
- We do this knowing that it is not loving to allow a person to remain stuck in sin, in fact it is deceitful and hatred because you are saying to them “I hate you so much that I not going to bring your sin to light but will allow you to die in your sin and go to hell.”.
The time to reveal his sin is not when you have built a good relationship with him. He may not have the luxury of time to his advantage. The time to reveal his/her sin is when you see it. Because we don't know what God has for him or even worst what the devil has waiting for him the instant we walk away. In the words of Mark Cahill there is only "One thing you can't do in heaven" that's the very thing we must do here on earth. which is witness, give the Gospel to the sinner (Matthews 28:16-20)
The world at the devils instruction wants you to believe that you are judging him that you are being hateful and exclusive. The devil wants you to feel that you are insensitive and mean by revealing sin to the unregenerate sinner. What better deception is it to cause powerful men and women of God to become impotent in their faith than to shut their mouths at the point of sin?
Satan wins twice;
First because they never get to know their sin (and only the law of God reveals sin Romans 7:7) and die to damnation.
Second Because powerful men and women of God become disobedient to God because they are either afraid or refuse to hurt the feeling of the unregenerate sinner.
Listen there should be an urgency to reveal sin to the unsaved and even the saved for God has made us watchmen over this would that we should lift up our voice like a trumpet.
- We love the sinner by refusing to let him go to hell;
- We hate the sinner by refusing to make know the goodness of God as expressed in the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Charles Spurgen said if youw desire to see everyone saved then you are probablely not saved yourself!
Your Brother in Christ
The Dichotomy of Judgment and Love