- Mark 1:15 “The time has come," he said (Jesus Christ). "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!”
- Acts 20:21 “I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.”
- Hebrews 6:1 “Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death,[a] and of faith in God,”
- 1. Conviction- where sin is admitted
- 2. Contrition -- where sin is abhorred
- 3. Conversion -- where sin is abandoned
It should be made clear that biblical repentance is not a human work that brings about salvation, this type of repentance is done in the unregenerate sinner by God alone. However repentance will results in works. This is because conviction and contrition are impossible without conversion. This is why John the Baptist called required of the people to bring about fruit ( works) that are consistence with repentance, or otherwise to prove their repentance with works (Matthew 3:8)
Repentance comes about through the convicting power of the Holy Spirit of God to cause a change of attitude, action, and affection.
Simply put there can be no salvation without repentance. This is not a salvation through works doctrine but a realization that faith and salvation are the natural byproduct of accepting the offer of salvation through a contrite and repentent heart.
Please leave a comment
Your Brother in Christ
Soli Deo Gloria