What is it?
Now it is important to understand that there is a difference between the Gift of Prophecy and the Office of a Prophet, one is a Gift of the Spirit and the other is a specific ministry office given to the body of Christ.
- Pastors, and
Respectively there are 9 Gifts of the Holy Spirit they are;
- Word of Wisdom,
- Word of Knowledge,
- The Gift of Healing,
- The Working of Miracles,
- Discerning of Spirits,
- Divers Type of Tongues and
- Interpretation of Tongues.
When Paul speaks of the offices of the ministry he makes clear that Apostle, Prophets, Evangelist, Pastor and Teachers are separate and distinct offices. A person may have the ability to teach, and evangelize and even be given to prophecy, but can only walk in the office of that which his has the anointing to walk in. Just because a prophet can preach does not make him or her pastor. A prophet is called to prophesize, a teacher is to teach, and likewise an evangelist is to evangelize. If a person decides to walk in the office of pastor as well as prophet he will surely fail at the office for which he has no anointing. This is important because God may have given him to become a teacher.
All of us can have prophecy from God but not all of us are prophets, all saints are called to evangelize but not all of us are evangelist. We must walk in the office for which there is an anointing. Being in the proper position, and function in the right office in the body of Christ is absolutely necessary for a healthy body. Consider this, if our liver tried to the job of our brain we would all be blithering idiots because the liver has no ability to generate thought, nor control actions of our limbs or any of the things that the brain must do. Likewise the brain can not function as the liver because it can not filter toxins from our blood stream nor signal the pancreas to produce insulin so that we may assimilate the foods that we eat. If the brain tried to do the things of the liver we would quickly die from the poisons of our own body, or suffer from starvation even while eating three square meals a day.
Some teach that apostles and prophets don’t exist today, they say things, they even teach to the congregation that the Gifts of the Holy Spirit and even the Office of the Apostle and Prophet died when the first apostles died. This is completely non Scriptural there is nowhere in the bible that says the gifts of the Holy Spirit or certain offices ended while other offices remained at the death of the original twelve or any other time for that matter. This is the doctrine of men not of God in Christ Jesus.
Likewise there is a powerful teaching that is counterfeit which has changes the Gift of the Holy Spirit. So that we would have no power, this is the work of Satan toward man to deceive you. If anyone tell you anything about the Gifts of the Holy Spirit, what they are, if they are still in working today, or anything which they can not back with scripture run away from them as fast as you can. The bible and the bible alone is the authority of the gifts and promises of God not what a person opinion says.(Deuteronomy 4:2).
On Free Will and Prophecy
Because God has given us free will prophecy can be inaccurate, or what is prophesized may not come to past because the prophet of God is only speaking God Will. We as creatures of free still have the ability to move out of God’s Will. This allow us to buffer harsh prophecy and fulfill prophecy which we love by our obedience to God. So we say that prophecy is God's will for a person's life or a local Body of Christ.
Sometimes the Holy Spirit reveals to the prophet what needs to be said at the instance it need to be said, there is no thought or premeditation of what God reveals to the prophet. this is one of the ways a prophet recieves prophecy from God
- Acts 9:10 (KJV) And there was a certain disciple at
, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord. Damascus
- Numbers 24:4 (KJV) He hath said, which heard the words of God, which saw the vision of the Almighty, falling into a trance, but having his eyes open:
- Daniel 7:1-28
- Revelation 1:1 (KJV) The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John
- Acts 10:22 (KJV) And they said, Cornelius the centurion, a just man, and one that feareth God, and of good report among all the nation of the Jews, was warned from God by an holy angel to send for thee into his house, and to hear words of thee.
The Different Types of Prophets
Not all prophet receive God Will the same way, and because they receive differently that are often named or called by the way they recieve the Word of God
- Some prophet receive their message from God through visions and dreams these prophets are called “Seers”
- Some hear the voice of God speaking directly to them, they are called “Hearers”;
- If a prophet receive God’s Will through the perception of their spirit these prophets are called “Sensors;”
- And a very few prophets do not actually recieve God's Will but instead just know what it is God wants to reveal to his people that are called “Knowers”
`Different Ways a Prophet Disseminates Prophecy
Prophecy can be given in a number of ways two of which are the lower level prophecy (anyone may give prophecy this way) and the higher level of prophecy given only to those operating in the office of a prophet.
- Lower level Prophecy
lower level prophecy is a way in which God gives prophecy to those not walking in the office of a prophet. However, someone who is walking in the office of a prophet may receive from God prophecy in this way as well. It is important to know
- By simply speaking under the unction of the Holy Spirit God will give his world to whomever he desires for the edification of the local body of Christ.
1 Corinthians 14:4 (KJV) He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
- Through prophesying in song or with music:
- Higher Level Prophecy;
Higher level prophecy is prophecy which comes from a prophet that is walking in the office of a prophet. Because the office of prophet is an office that God alone can call one to, God speaks to him that walks in the office of prophet more freely and set him apart from others that prophesize.
- Higher level prophecy may be expressed through acting out in parables this is exclusively done through the office of the Prophet.
Acts 21:10-11 (KJV) And as we tarried there many days, there came down from
- Higher level Prophecy may also be expressed by writing down the prophecy, this is almost exclusively give to congregations and always for the edification, exhortation and encouragement to the Body of Christ. In this way God give prophecy to the prophet in advance and the prophecy is held until God desires to have it delivered.
Please note that prophecy written in a book is not in any way an addition to scripture, nor is it to be considered for anyone except whom it was given to.
Revelation 1:11 (KJV) Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.
Jeremiah 36:18 (KJV) Then Baruch answered them, He pronounced all these words unto me with his mouth, and I wrote them with ink in the book.
T. Charves FireSpeaks